"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." That's a phrase most of us are familiar with, and by the way, the same goes for all the Jills of the world too. If you're slipping into the category of working more but enjoying it less, then it is time to make certain aspects of your job more enjoyable. Feeling dull is not good for the soul.
In a previous Life Formula post I stated I try to allocate one-third of my life to work, one-third to rest and one-third to play. There is planned overlapping and sometimes an activity falls into the trilogy category. At those moments there is real bliss and harmony in knowing I'm not clocking in or out of a life category, but enjoying my life in the present moment.
Work is defined as, "Sustained physical or mental effort to overcome obstacles and achieve an objective or result." It takes much effort to achieve real estate results today. It stand to reason if we exert intense effort for eight hours then we need an equal amount of time to rest and recover before we can return refreshed and ready to suit up for another day in the trenches.
A few ways to incorporate pleasure/play and rest during the work day:
1) Music is a great stress reliever; it plays softly in the background all day at my office.
2) Move away from the computer screen; too many hours staring at a monitor creates eye, neck and shoulder strain. A recent news report said hours hunched over a keyboard can shorten your life.
3) Stand up and stretch; take water, restroom or mini sunshine and fresh air breaks throughout the day.
4) No time for exercise? Incorporate more steps into your workday by parking a half block away from homes you are previewing and errand stops. The extra surge of blood to the brain will increase your energy and problem solving abilities. You will accomplish more with less effort and time. Think of exercise as a time saver, not a time waster.
5) Take a time out; a 15 minutes rest will clear the mind and refresh the body. I keep a yoga mat at the office, in my car and at home. After a few stretches and meditation or a nap I'm recharged and ready to return to work. On days when I must move from my day at the office to an evening function with seamless effort those minutes on the mat are priceless.
6) Add a new element of challenge and risk. Routine can become boring. Take on a new challenge, do something outside your comfort zone. This is a great way to start your creative juices flowing. Robotic work is dull. Dare to fail.
We can make work less stressful by adding a few pleasurable and restful moments during our hours on the job. Work does not need to be drudgery, nor do we need to become "dull" while engaged in our chosen method of making a living.
Norma Toering & Team RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
(310) 493-8333 / Office Phone: (310) 831-0800
PalosVerdesLifestyle - Nominated by Relocation.com as one of the top ten Los Angeles area real estate blogs. Ranked by Technorati in the top 1% of all blogs. As seen in the Daily Breeze newspaper.
South Bay Los Angeles cities I sell real estate, property, houses and homes in: Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach, Torrance, Lomita, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach. Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
Homes In Palos Verdes - Palos Verdes Realtor Home
Palos Verdes Horse Property - Palos Verdes Realtor Blog
Boitano Palms Lots for Sale - Homes with Views in Palos Verdes
Palos Verdes Coastal Homes - Palos Verdes Homes
Palos Verdes Photography - Palos Verdes Videos
Sell Smart, Buy Wise and Live Well
PalosVerdesLifestyle - Norma's award winning site as the best Palos Verdes homes and real estate blog since 2007.
- Selected by Relocation.com as one of the top ten Los Angeles area real estate blogs.
- Chosen by MovingCost.com as one of the best Los Angeles realty blogs.
- Awarded 5 out of 5 stars by Lender411 blog review.
- Ranked by Technorati in the top 1% of all blogs.
- As seen in the Daily Breeze newspaper.
- Rancho Palos Verdes Top Real Estate Agent
Palos Verdes Homes Blog - Palos Verdes Houses
Palos Verdes Horse Property - Palos Verdes Real Estate Agent
Palos Verdes Coastal Homes - Palos Verdes Home Search
Photos of Palos Verdes - Palos Verdes Videos
Palos Verdes Luxury Homes - Beach Cities Homes - Income Property in the South Bay
Based on information from the Association of REALTORS®/Multiple Listing as of the initial date of this article/blog publication and /or other sources. Display of MLS data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS. The Broker/Agent providing the information contained herein may or may not have been the Listing and/or Selling Agent.